Thursday, June 3, 2010

6/4/10/



I have just had two busy days. And, at the same time, the weather has been diabolical. An enormous depression is centred all down the east coast of Australia. Yesterday, in fact, a  tornado hit the coast at Lennox Head, a small seaside town. Tornados are very rare here so we were all surprised at the destruction. Luckily noone was killed. It's nowhere near us, but we're experiencing the tail-end of the weather system. It's been raining, off and on, for days, and there's no end in sight.

Lennox Head

I doubted whether I'd be able to get down to the Central Coast yesterday because the weather-forecast was so bad, but I was fortunate enough to be able to skip betwen drenching showers.I went down by train by myself and I read our Book Club book, 'Catch 22',  on the journey. I couldn't really get into it, though. I always feel guilty if I don't like a best seller, feeling I must be out of touch with society, but I think the book was too masculine for me. I didn't have any sympathy with the characters and the humour didn't grab me, either. There was a slight drama on my arrival in Gosford as the taxi took me to the wrong area in the large retirement village at which I was performing. When I enquired about the meeting room I was told it was too far away to walk to, particularly with rain threatening, so I had to hunt around for a Knight in Shining Armour to give me a lift. Fortunately, I found one. The Poetry and Anecdote session was successful. I sold all the books I'd taken with me, and another Knight drove me to the station afterwards. The only photo I have of the occasion was taken by someone with a shaky hand I think!

Holding Forth
Today has been busy as well. We went to 'The Cricketers' Arms as usual for our rehearsal, but we didn't practice 'Tiddly Pom' this time. Instead we concentrated on 'Jeweled Jeopardy' as we're rusty and we have a few performances in the pipeline. I found I was very forgetful with lines today. You'd think the writer would know the lines automatically, but it doesn't work that way. We had a pleasant social lunch afterwards, although I chose 'Truffled Cauliflour' soup, thinking it sounded interesting and it was almost tasteless. I enjoyed the bacon bits floating on the surface most!

6 comments:

  1. nice post, and tornado is really horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think truffled chauliflower soup would be wonderfully fragrant - thank heavens for the bacon bits haha!
    Amazing picture of the tornado.
    Glad their were 'knights' around for you.
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I'm with you all the way on this. Don't feel badly about not liking Catch-22. I didn't like it when I first read it decades ago. In fact, I didn't bother to finish it. Usually, there is a reason for being out of step with society and if you don't like a book, there is probably a very good reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your energy, and sorry about the soup. I had cauliflower soup once at a dinner party and it was lovely. My favorite though is
    squash soup.
    Sorry to hear of your bad weather but so thankful no one was hurt. I do hope you have a wonderful weekend.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truffle Cauliflower soup... so sad it was bland...
    I love the tornado photo...a lot!!!

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the tornado photo was great! Too bad about the soup I love cauliflower. I just cooked up a batch of mashed cauliflower yesterday and it is delicious! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete